Living in a cold climate where we have snow 7 months out of the 12 (I know how depressing…) makes moisturizing our hair a very key essential part of preventing breakage as well as achieving and retaining length. This is where glycerin comes in handy. Vegetable glycerin works very well as a moisturizer for healthy hair. So where am I going with this? Natural curly hair is normally dry by nature so in order to maintain soft, healthy hair, the right amount of moisture is a definite requirement. If you struggle with dry hair and excessive breakage, keep reading to find out the ways to which you can use vegetable glycerin in order to acheive well moisturized and healthier hair.
Why Vegetable Glycerin?
Vegetable glycerin is naturally hygroscopic. In layman terms, this simply means that it draws and absorbs moisture from its surroundings. This is one of the reasons glycerin works as an effective ingredient for any moisturizing hair care or skin care products. You can also combine and mix other ingredients such as carrier oils, essential oils, herbs etc. with the glycerin for added benefits.
Benefits of Vegetable Glycerin on Natural Hair
- It retains moisture in dry hair, scalp or skin and thus can be used to assist in growing out your hair.
- Since glycerin helps to moisturize the hair, it keep it from drying out and breaking off, so you can actually maintain length better.
- An excellent hair conditioner, it helps to condition frizzy, dry and brittle hair.
- If you have dry, itchy and flaky scalp, try rubbing some vegetable glycerin mixed with a few drops of tea tree essential oil onto your scalp, this will help to sooth your scalp and decrease dandruff.
- It helps to strengthen the hair, this helps to prevent split ends from forming.
Vegetable glycerin is best suited for people with African-American hair and those with curly-dry hair types. A great way to use this excellent moisturizer is by whipping up your own homemade natural hair spritzer. The simple recipe below will help to not only prevent frizzy hair, but will keep your hair well moisturized throughout the day.
Glycerin Frizz Prevention Moisturizing Hair Spritzer
-5 tsp of grape-seed carrier oil
-3 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops vegetable glycerin
- 2 tsp aloe vera gel and 8 oz of pure distilled water.
Mix the aloe vera gel, grape-seed oil ,vegetable glycerin, essential oil and water in a clean container. Use a funnel to pour the mixture inside a spray bottle. Use as a hair mist/hair spritz to moisturize your hair as well as keep frizz and dry hair far away!